I increase the grade due to:
1. With Safari 13.1 in Mojave, tabs finally work. I can only assume that Apple actually read the logs and fixed the problem.
2. A reset of the network settings seems to have solved the random WiFi problems. Still iOS wrong, but obviously affordable.
The physical design continues to be a major annoyance.
Now I have had the phone for three months and it has not gotten any better:
- WiFi stops working once a day. It ends up working as if it shows that it is connected to the right network, but no apps manage to retrieve any data at all. All other devices on the same wireless network work flawlessly, including older iPhone models. Switching to another physical router does not solve the problem. The only thing that helps is to turn the WiFi off and on again on the phone (ios 13.3.1) which puts the spot where the probem is located. We don't even have to mention all the thousands of people with the same problem (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8090493?page=2).
- Safari continues to systematically not sync tabs to Mojave (some versions) despite Apple's promise that it will work. After talking to the support and demonstrating that the iPhone 8 and macOS Catalina sync with each other in their own isolated snowflake world, but not with Mojave or iPhone 5 (10.3), they have collected logs. Who knows when the solution will come? In 3, 6, 12 months? ... We also don't have to pretend that ios 13 would have trouble being backwards compatible with reading unencrypted tabs from ios 10 or macOS Mojave, so there's absolutely no excuse why I don't see the tabs from these devices on iphone 8. Tab sync is a joke, and apple is not keeping what they promised at all. It just doesn't work.
- It has also been good with strul to get automatic itunes Wifi backup to work with the phone. Fortunately, we found a way around the problem of the phone never starting to sync to itunes automatically (either on macOS or on Windows).
- Very convenient to not be able to use the included headphones in the laptop - not even if it were a mac. Remember to bring two pairs of headphones! Ridiculous.
- Apps that I bought and backed up obviously cannot be transferred to the phone for a few years back, and since they have been removed from the app store, I no longer have them. May be that the iphone 8 can't run 32-bit apps at all but it's not immediately obvious to me at this time. It is, for example, not as if the intel processors running macOS Catalina can't run 32-bit apps - it's just the OS that doesn't want to.
The form factor, the hollowness and the lack of headphone jack continue to be reasons why I unconsciously feel like I am striving for iphone 5 instead of lying next to each other.
Worthless without icloud: Call the support and ask where the icloud backup has taken the road. They have no idea and no tools to find out what happened. No event log. Nothing. This means that I cannot trust icloud, which makes the phone quite useless.
Also tried to download bankid without success. Appstore sits and rolls thumbs and spins endlessly. Not to mention the disgusting ads they have placed at the top of the search results on the appstore.
Please do not send with a headphone adapter. Minus.
It is bad in the hand, so does it, and as it seems, some trainee at apple has chosen to coat the sides with teflon so that it will be as slippery as possible. Everything else on the phone should of course be made of glass so that you take it as quickly as possible. Idiocy.
Iphone 8 is by far the worst experience I've had of iphone so far. Give me iphone 5.
Almost as bad as price hunt, which in the absence of design ability throws away everything you have written.