Photo

Functionality Requests!

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

johanneshenrysson
  • johanneshenrysson

• posts 229

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:41 PM

Searching for products while in the forum is finally working, however, not quite.

There are often "1.jQuery.undefined" or "572undefined" errors.

Good morning (or evening for some :) ), just wanted to tell you that it should now be working.
  • TomSahz and tehkhop like this

tankdev
  • tankdev
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 10

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:42 PM

Hey guys, my suggestion comes as a result of my recent dealings with Pricespy as a developer. I think there needs to be a developers' information page, because I had to discover the following things out for myself through (very slow) communications with the support team.
- if I add a new field (Eg. In-stock) to the product feed, I need to inform Pricespy's Support Team in order for it to be imported.
- If I remove products entirely from my feed, then they could take days to be removed from Pricespy.
- If I add new products to my feed, they could take days to even be added to pricespy-raw, and then days longer to be indexed completely.
- I'm assuming the support and development teams are in Sweden, purely based on their names and the late-night replies, but I can't find anywhere on the website that states what days/hours they are in the office.
- Replies to support emails (let alone solutions) can take many days.

I believe this kind of information needs to be published somewhere so that we are able to communicate expectations with our clients. Some of the most common questions I am getting from my clients are "How long should it take for X to be indexed/removed/updated?", "What's taking so long?", and "Can't you email them to get it fixed?"/"Why haven't they (Pricespy) replied to our emails?", and at the moment I really struggle to answer those questions.
  • TomSahz, LinuxUser and tehkhop like this

tankdev
  • tankdev
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 10

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:47 PM

As an additional feature for developers - it would be really useful for the "Shop Status" tab to show a simple error message when a product-feed import fails. Eg "Unexpected Character on line 1" rather than just "Fail".
Currently, if I can't find an obvious issue with the product feed I have to email support in order for them to tell me what is going wrong. We simply can't afford for a product feed to be down for many days while the support team wake up from hibernation to reply to our emails.
  • TomSahz, LinuxUser and tehkhop like this

johanneshenrysson
  • johanneshenrysson

• posts 229

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:49 PM

- if I add a new field (Eg. In-stock) to the product feed, I need to inform Pricespy's Support Team in order for it to be imported.
Regardless of what method we use, new fields requires some kind of manual touch in order to be properly imported, as we are quite flexible with the feeds. As said here feeds may contain numerous fields in any given order.

- If I remove products entirely from my feed, then they could take days to be removed from Pricespy.
Well, if you remove just a couple of products, they should be removed next time our system checks the feed. Then it takes a little (1-2 hours maybe) for new data to be pushed to website. However if you remove a large part of your products, our systems will halt, warning us that something maybe wrong. This prevents all products from disappearing if for some reason entire feed wasn't generated properly etc. Then someone manually has to confirm.

- If I add new products to my feed, they could take days to even be added to pricespy-raw, and then days longer to be indexed completely.
Well yes it could take days, depending on category, information provided etc.

- I'm assuming the support and development teams are in Sweden, purely based on their names and the late-night replies, but I can't find anywhere on the website that states what days/hours they are in the office.
As contact is done per email I fail to see that it is relevant to know exactly when support and development are in the office. But yes, currently support and development are mainly in Sweden. I'm pretty sure that support is doing all they can to respond quickly, but I also think that depending on the matter, it may take a little longer to get a proper answer. For instance if something is not working properly, it's good to know what is wrong etc.

As an additional feature for developers - it would be really useful for the "Shop Status" tab to show a simple error message when a product-feed import fails.
Yes, there is some room for improvement there.

Much of these would do good to have in some kind of info page, but a lot of it is likely to change very often. We always try to improve our service, both the website itself, as well as the tools behind it. Also many things may also vary a lot depending on a lot of different factors. I think that a guide would either be too complex to understand, or to general to actually say anything. Regardless of which, it's very likely to get out of date after maybe just a month or two.
I think that the best way to get proper information is to contact our support, and then they can respond according to your background.
  • TomSahz and SqueedilySpoot like this

tankdev
  • tankdev
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 10

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:36 PM

I have to disagree with you wholeheartedly - the post you have just written was absolutely exceptional and I would have paid in limbs to have that kind of reference available to me 2-3 weeks ago. However, there is a touch of 'Well, obviously' about your post, which I find a little unfair - absolutely nothing about this whole process has been obvious.

I would much rather have had slightly complex/outdated/redundant information than no information at all, and I think you wildly underestimate how important this would have been to me and my clients, and therefore any future developers and their clients. I also think you overestimate how hard it is to maintain a simple page of copy, even on a frequent basis - ever heard of a blog?

Within a couple of days your helpful post will be buried beneath a mountain of other forum posts, no other developer will ever see it again, and they will have to 'resolve' their issues by sending support emails out into the black hole that is Pricespy support.
Thanks though for your help and for hearing me out, I wish I had come to the forums earlier in my foray into the world of Pricespy.
  • TomSahz, tehkhop and BKNZ like this

johanneshenrysson
  • johanneshenrysson

• posts 229

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:47 PM

I have to disagree with you wholeheartedly - the post you have just written was absolutely exceptional and I would have paid in limbs to have that kind of reference available to me 2-3 weeks ago. However, there is a touch of 'Well, obviously' about your post, which I find a little unfair - absolutely nothing about this whole process has been obvious.

I would much rather have had slightly complex/outdated/redundant information than no information at all, and I think you wildly underestimate how important this would have been to me and my clients, and therefore any future developers and their clients. I also think you overestimate how hard it is to maintain a simple page of copy, even on a frequent basis - ever heard of a blog?

Within a couple of days your helpful post will be buried beneath a mountain of other forum posts, no other developer will ever see it again, and they will have to 'resolve' their issues by sending support emails out into the black hole that is Pricespy support.
Thanks though for your help and for hearing me out, I wish I had come to the forums earlier in my foray into the world of Pricespy.

To have a "Well, obviously..." touch to my post was not my intention.

It may well be that we underestimate the importance and overestimate how hard it is to maintain. Maybe a good solution would be to use my previous post as a base and create a sticky topic with FAQ for stores, or to add it to info pages. I'll check with my colleagues.
  • TomSahz, LinuxUser, SqueedilySpoot and 2 others like this

simonwang
  • simonwang
  • Rookie

• posts 3

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:54 AM

I do noticed that quite a few products would be on sale in a regular paces, while the normal price is high and insane, a sale price might beat quite a lot other similar models. I would like to request a feature about search:

While filter out result in advanced search, "The price has changed today" may not able to list such items as it might not on sale but it was or will. If the result could show a column as "Lowest Price in history" it could be really helpful to add those items in my watch list. If we could have such a filter to filter "lowest price in history" along that would be wonderful.  Something like a 'Price change frequency' shows as a rate might also be somewhat useful.

This could be quite a useful feature for people planning to purchase expensive stuff, while we may would like to wait for a couple weeks to save hundred bucks.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,851

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:08 AM

Not a bad idea, however that would have a few issues. Occasionally incorrect prices get put up, and a far more frequent issue would be one-off sales: neither are a useful indicator of future sales. However some simple techniques could eliminate most issues with that.

(Details on my ideas for anyone interested:)

Spoiler

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB (RAID0!), Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

simonwang
  • simonwang
  • Rookie

• posts 3

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:10 AM

Not a bad idea, however that would have a few issues. Occasionally incorrect prices get put up, and a far more frequent issue would be one-off sales: neither are a useful indicator of future sales. However some simple techniques could eliminate most issues with that.

(Details on my ideas for anyone interested:)

Spoiler

You are quite right about one off sale or incorrect price, but I guess PriceSpy should be able to figure something out, anyway the main idea is to find items frequently on sale, it would be wonderful for saving money, especially in New Zealand. 

shaw
  • shaw
  • Rookie

• posts 2

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:27 PM

Wanting to discuss implementing Pricespy price graphs on our website, have attempted to make contact regarding multiple times, but no response.

Anyone able to contact me to discuss? 

Cheers.

johanneshenrysson
  • johanneshenrysson

• posts 229

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:49 PM

Wanting to discuss implementing Pricespy price graphs on our website, have attempted to make contact regarding multiple times, but no response.

Anyone able to contact me to discuss? 

Cheers.

I'll let support know, and push for them to contact you.

• TomSahz likes this

shaw
  • shaw
  • Rookie

• posts 2

Posted 27 November 2015 - 02:59 AM

I'll let support know, and push for them to contact you.

Cheers mate, thanks.

• TomSahz likes this

gagep931
  • gagep931
  • Rookie

• posts 2

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:08 PM

I think being able to add custom prices and URLs to your lists would be a great help. There's some parts from Newegg that are way cheaper than the parts in NZ, and I'd love to be able to add those prices so the lists show the actual price for everything.

• TomSahz, LinuxUser and jaqqour like this

johanneshenrysson
  • johanneshenrysson

• posts 229

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:37 PM

I think being able to add custom prices and URLs to your lists would be a great help. There's some parts from Newegg that are way cheaper than the parts in NZ, and I'd love to be able to add those prices so the lists show the actual price for everything.

That's an interesting idea, thanks! I'll let our concept team know.

• TomSahz, LinuxUser, Gractus and 1 other like this

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,851

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:20 AM

Great! I'm sure I've suggested it before, but I'm glad something is happening now.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB (RAID0!), Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

steveh7
  • steveh7
  • Rookie

• posts 1

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:22 PM

It would be great to add arbitrary line items to product list, for things that aren't on Pricespy (e.g. they're too old, already owned, or not available in NZ, or custom made). So you can keep everything about a build all together. 

It'd be especially good if you could assign a price and quantity to those too.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,851

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:19 PM

Absolutely agree. I and others have suggested it here before, and nothing has happened. However I will raise it directly with the admins and point out the various requests.

Gractus
  • Gractus
  • Rookie

• posts 1

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:31 PM

Unsure if this has been suggested...

Today I was looking at graphics cards and filtered by "GTX 570" and "In stock?". And sorted results by price.

However all the lowest prices are where it's out of stock at that particular retailer, but in stock elsewhere at a higher price.

Can we change the 'in stock' filter - so that rather than omitting products that aren't in stock anywhere, it omits retailers that don't stock that particular product?

That way when I do the search above, the lowest price (and first result that comes up) will actually be the lowest stocked price which is ofc what is important!

How is this not implemented 7 years after it was suggested?

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,851

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:01 PM

It has been, in a way. If you sort by Stock status, that not only brings up another column with the lowest price in stock, but also sorts by that. (You can sort by that column if you really want to make sure, but it looks to be unnecessary to me.) Using the filter to select only in stock items is optional, as in stock sorts first anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users