• posts 37

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:41 PM

Read more

discobrian
  • discobrian
  • Rookie

• posts 4

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:24 AM

Pretty meaningless though, right? When Computer Lounge are the only retailer I'm on the mailing list for who send out an email begging people to vote for them. I bet Rebel and Farmers didn't have to do that. And how is Samsung newcomer of the year with exactly zero reviews?

Coincidentally, since they sent that email out and slapped the vote for us banner on the front of the site, there's at least four reviews telling everyone Computer Lounge are 10/10 perfect. Even one review saying they have the best prices when they're usually down at the bottom of the list. Computer Lounge are far and away one of the more expensive stores.

PriceSpy is my go-to comparison site, but let's be honest, this store of the year stuff is a bit of a sham, and it's clearly being manipulated by at least Computer Lounge. Based on reviews on the site they're worse than Playtech, DTC, PC Force, Paradigm - and they're just the ones with over 100 reviews. So how does that merit store of the year except in an easily manipulated vote?

Edited by discobrian, 08 December 2017 - 12:30 AM.

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,870

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:21 AM

I think it would be better to base the store of the year off of reviews cast during the year - e.g. which store received the greatest share of reviews over a certain rating. Newcomer of the year could be the store which started out with, say, <5 reviews at the start of the year, but finished with the highest number of reviews over a certain rating compared to similar stores. As discobrian points out, its becomes quite artificial when its left to people to vote for a store. Shouldn't it come down to cold, hard data rather than behavioural manipulation?

Don't get me wrong, CL is a great store and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it - but the same can be said for many stores indexed by Pricespy, and the store of the year seems to come down to which store is most aggressive in it's marketing to encourage people to vote for it.

Edited by TomSahz, 08 December 2017 - 06:22 AM.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,822

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:34 AM

Pretty meaningless though, right? When Computer Lounge are the only retailer I'm on the mailing list for who send out an email begging people to vote for them. I bet Rebel and Farmers didn't have to do that. And how is Samsung newcomer of the year with exactly zero reviews?

Coincidentally, since they sent that email out and slapped the vote for us banner on the front of the site, there's at least four reviews telling everyone Computer Lounge are 10/10 perfect. Even one review saying they have the best prices when they're usually down at the bottom of the list. Computer Lounge are far and away one of the more expensive stores.

PriceSpy is my go-to comparison site, but let's be honest, this store of the year stuff is a bit of a sham, and it's clearly being manipulated by at least Computer Lounge. Based on reviews on the site they're worse than Playtech, DTC, PC Force, Paradigm - and they're just the ones with over 100 reviews. So how does that merit store of the year except in an easily manipulated vote?

Votes. But I'm not sure that they deserve "newcomer" even if the store is.

They are, but their shipping is cheap. And they give discounts and match prices fairly readily. I've often ended out buying from them even if the price listed is more.

In my opinion, their review score is a bit lower than it should be – a few of their poor reviews are not deserved, for instance one is over courier delays. You're correct that those are rated higher in this year's reviews, but they don't have anywhere near as many – and as the vote is based on number. Basing the Store of the Year on reviews would just result in manipulating reviews instead of merely votes. Also, people can vote even if they haven't bought recently enough to warrant posting or updating a review.

I think it would be better to base the store of the year off of reviews cast during the year - e.g. which store received the greatest share of reviews over a certain rating. Newcomer of the year could be the store which started out with, say, <5 reviews at the start of the year, but finished with the highest number of reviews over a certain rating compared to similar stores. As discobrian points out, its becomes quite artificial when its left to people to vote for a store. Shouldn't it come down to cold, hard data rather than behavioural manipulation?

Don't get me wrong, CL is a great store and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it - but the same can be said for many stores indexed by Pricespy, and the store of the year seems to come down to which store is most aggressive in it's marketing to encourage people to vote for it.

I agree, to a point. The problems with basing it off reviews are that 1. it doesn't solve the problem (stores can still ask for reviews), and 2. most people won't update reviews after they've placed them (so you're left with predominately people that have problems and update because of that, new customers, and people new to PriceSpy). If we base this on the number of reviews of 8+ stars (or even 10 stars), I think you'll find CL would still win despite their review rating not being as high, because they've got significantly more reviews this year – this is similar to the voting, although the numbers are smaller. I guess it depends what you consider the Store of the Year is saying – I think it is more a "favourite" store rather than "best" store.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB (RAID0!), Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

DZander
  • DZander
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 35

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:44 AM

Bah, I bet I get another spam from CL, touting how they won it 8 times in a row now.

I'd rather they spent that time shipping products the same day (without paying more for the privilege) like most other stores do.

Sury
  • Sury
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 39

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:50 AM

I kinda somewhat agree with discobrian with Computer Lounge.
I thought it was a bit wrong receiving an email asking to vote for the store. Yes Computer Lounge have done this in the past and I have usually ignored it.. but when they keep winning I start to wonder if this tactic of getting some extra votes via email marketing is skewing the numbers.
From a marketing point of view it makes sense doing this, probably having this badge/title gets them a few more sales.

Don't get me wrong Computer Lounge is a good store and set the bar in the past with their service, (have ordered from them many times over the years), but now other stores are providing that same level of excellent service and have really good prices.
I only speak from my own experiences, when I saw changes in Computer Lounge that's when I tried smaller stores as they had better deals and their service was just as good.

I do think the whole system in terms of voting should change. And it would be really good to see the actual number of votes, rather than saying these are the winners.

Also while I got my tin foil hat on, exactly how does this current voting system work in terms of knowing a legit account and a dummy account created just to place a vote?

• LinuxUser likes this

Corsair 750D | Asus Z97 Deluxe(NFC & WLC) | Intel i7 4690K | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte G1 980TI | Samsung 840 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | WD Blue 1TB | Sound Blaster Z | Corsair AX1200i | Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro Fans
Custom Water Cooled: EK GPU Block | Koolance 380i CPU Block | Bitspower Fittings | Bitspower 150 Upgrade Kit | Bitspower D5 Mod Top | Bitspower D5 Mod Kit | SwifTech D5 Pump | PrimoChill Compression Fittings | Primochill PETG Tubing

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,822

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:35 AM

I kinda somewhat agree with discobrian with Computer Lounge.
I thought it was a bit wrong receiving an email asking to vote for the store. Yes Computer Lounge have done this in the past and I have usually ignored it.. but when they keep winning I start to wonder if this tactic of getting some extra votes via email marketing is skewing the numbers.
From a marketing point of view it makes sense doing this, probably having this badge/title gets them a few more sales.

I do think the whole system in terms of voting should change. And it would be really good to see the actual number of votes, rather than saying these are the winners.

Also while I got my tin foil hat on, exactly how does this current voting system work in terms of knowing a legit account and a dummy account created just to place a vote?

PriceSpy probably doesn't want to discourage stores asking their customers to vote, because it is good advertising for PriceSpy. The thing is, any store can request votes from their customers (and particularly those subscribed to newsletters), which, in light of the previous, is probably enough to override any complaint that it isn't fair. I'm not saying I agree, especially as many stores don't have newsletters and therefore don't really have any legitimate way of contacting their customers about such things.

I totally agree that seeing the numbers, at least for the top 5 or so, would be nice. Or even just the top 5...

Probably much the same as for reviews. I don't really know.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB (RAID0!), Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

discobrian
  • discobrian
  • Rookie

• posts 4

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:51 AM

Votes. But I'm not sure that they deserve "newcomer" even if the store is.

They are, but their shipping is cheap. And they give discounts and match prices fairly readily. I've often ended out buying from them even if the price listed is more.

In my opinion, their review score is a bit lower than it should be – a few of their poor reviews are not deserved, for instance one is over courier delays. You're correct that those are rated higher in this year's reviews, but they don't have anywhere near as many – and as the vote is based on number. Basing the Store of the Year on reviews would just result in manipulating reviews instead of merely votes. Also, people can vote even if they haven't bought recently enough to warrant posting or updating a review.

I've bought about $5k from Computer Lounge this year. Unfortunately the courier delays are down to their choices of couriers - that's NZ Couriers and Toll. And it's not just the courier delays, it's the delays in shipping. I order from Playtech and it goes out that day via Courier Post and I get it the next day. Without fail. I order from Computer Lounge and unless it's first thing in the morning it's probably not going out that day. I gave up on special orders. I asked if they stocked the product from one of their regular product ranges, they put it on the site for me to order the same day, but it took a week for them to email me to tell me it was a special order and it'd be on the next shipment from the supplier. At which point I told them to cancel the order and ordered it direct - took the manufacturer three days to get it here from Europe.

And also, as DZander pointed out up there, paying extra to go to the front of the queue, paying extra for insurance - they're the only ones that do this and get away with it. Some people are confused how they're not 10/10, but overall I think their current score is pretty fair.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,822

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:39 AM

I pretty much agree. I've never liked the pay extra for <insert option here>. And I don't like the amount of next-day shipping I'm seeing mentioned in the reviews, because as you say most can do it same-day – either they're under-staffed, or it is deliberate to get more paying extra. I don't like how they've got away from free shipping. And I haven't bought off them for a while either, because I could find better prices (or more importantly, cheaper products like RAM) elsewhere without the bother of asking for a price match (specifically, PB Tech but only when stuff was on special).

But a large part of their reputation has been to do with handling RMAs and such like well, and good communication. I'm not sure if that side of things is as good as it used to be, but there are plenty of people that'd put up with the rest to get that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users