My laptop locked

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

mmxz300h
  • mmxz300h
  • Rookie

• posts 2

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:03 PM

My kid made several attempts to try to login my laptop and entered the wrong password. now the machine is locked and can't login with my password. How to unlock it without reinstallation? It is powered by the latest Windows 10.

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,865

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:30 PM

If you use a Microsoft Live account to login (the one you use for Microsoft services) you can reset that pretty easily.

Otherwise, you will need to follow instructions to boot from a recovery drive and get to the command line so you can enter some text. Instructions here (use the Windows 7 instructions but take note of the differences described at the bottom of the article).

• LinuxUser and mmxz300h like this

mmxz300h
  • mmxz300h
  • Rookie

• posts 2

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:02 PM

If you use a Microsoft Live account to login (the one you use for Microsoft services) you can reset that pretty easily.

Otherwise, you will need to follow instructions to boot from a recovery drive and get to the command line so you can enter some text. Instructions here (use the Windows 7 instructions but take note of the differences described at the bottom of the article).

Thanks.

I remember the account is a local account added by myself not Microsoft Live account.  
BTW, PCWord tutorial for Windows 10 only applies to the cases using Microsoft account for login.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,785

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:19 PM

I'm surprised it actually locked you out. I thought it only did that if it was configured to via Group Policy...

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB (RAID0!), Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,865

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:33 PM

Thanks.

I remember the account is a local account added by myself not Microsoft Live account.  
BTW, PCWord tutorial for Windows 10 only applies to the cases using Microsoft account for login.

Down the bottom of the article:

That technique won’t work if you took the pains to create a local account. In that case, use the Windows 7 instructions above, with these exceptions:

• Boot from a Windows 10 Recovery Drive and use that to get to the command line. You’ll find the instructions in my Windows 10 Safe Mode article.
  • The ease of access icon is in the lower-right corner, between the Power and Connect to Internet icons.

Saccerk
  • Saccerk
  • Rookie

• posts 1

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:18 PM

You can create a bootable Offline NTPasssword rest disc or USB or I personally use Hiren Boot Disc (USB) which has reset tool integrated. Hiren's BootCD Fan & Discussion Platform

• mmxz300h likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users