• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

qking
  • qking
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 35

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:18 PM

Hi guys and gals, I've not been on here for ages; but I spotted this and thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.techspot....lator-game.html

Even though it's only a game, it's a pretty good idea and could easily be developed into a teaching tool for kids at home or school (or anyone really.)

The game itself does lend itself quite well to puzzle/logic problems, forcing the person to think about why a certain component won't fit/work/be compatible etc etc.

Heck, it could be used as an online 'theoretical' exam tool prior to a hands-on one, to reduce risk of damage to actual components. 

Maybe mini games like...applying CPU thermal paste using different methods and comparing results.

Airflow simulation depending on case, fan, cables in the way etc. 

What cool ideas can you think of?

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,705

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:15 PM

Thanks for sharing. That looks like a great idea, and depending on a number of factors, could definitely be a great tool as well as a "game".

There's all sorts of great possibilities of where it could go, but some things are a bit difficult. Of course, the number one difficulty would be developer time... One idea I've had for a while is a tool to help with choosing parts, ensuring everything selected should work together and such like – however that'd require real and up-to-date local prices.

Things like techniques for applying thermal paste would be tricky, because it would probably be impossible to actually simulate the proposed application. It'd need to have a range of methods for a range of CPUs (different CPUs have different die shapes, die sizes, heat sources within the die and power consumption, and therefore different results) with real-world test results – and probably repeated for multiple thermal pastes.

Airflow would also be difficult to simulate, but probably a bit easier (or at least more possible) as CFD already deals with that sort of thing. Probably far too much dev time still...

But a basic building simulator is a great idea. Add in the possibility of component failures / troubleshooting scenarios that was suggested by someone in the comments on that TechSpot article, and it'd be really great.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 4670K (stock for now), Asus Z87-C, 12 GB DDR3, integrated graphics, 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB (RAID0!), Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users