Becextech serious problems - stay clear

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

stan_doc
  • stan_doc
  • Rookie

• posts 7

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:43 AM

Hi - thought I would share my horrendous experience with Becextech.  Having ordered (stupid me) 4 phones from them before with no problem, I ordered a Sony Xperia Z3 last month.  It worked fine, but within a few days of opening the box, I noticed a small crack in the rear glass which quickly turned into a large network of cracks.  It had had no use at all since I hadn't got around to setting it up with the correct accounts and apps,

They refused to help at all, saying the warranty wouldn't apply here.  Obviously I hadn't dropped or knocked the phone and I imagine the crack was already there when I opened it but didn't notice.

If I bought this phone from a local (NZ) shop I bet they'd take it back no problems but Becextech have completely refused.  I get the impression they are selling dud, secondhand phones to an unsuspecting NZ and Australian public.

Anyway, I'll fix it myself but will likely be left with a phone that isn't properly waterproof. I just thought I should add my experience to what appears to be an ever-increasing amount of dirt on this crappy company.

I wish I had viewed this forum before buying!  But why does Pricespy allow all of these reviews from users with just one review ie looks very suspicious that somebody is loading up lots of great reviews to hide all the really bad reviews of Becextech.

stan_doc
  • stan_doc
  • Rookie

• posts 7

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:41 PM

Wow that's quick - Becextech emailing me already with an offer to try to resolve this if only I take down any adverse reviews here.  I have to say good on them for trying, but I am really not keen to send the phone back to them as my trust in them is now not great, having received what I believe to be a defective phone and then told by them bad luck can't help.  In addition, I don't wish to be without a phone while they decide if they're going to fix it, replace it, or just post it back to me unrepaired.

Edited by stan_doc, 07 March 2017 - 01:51 PM.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,808

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

I wish I had viewed this forum before buying!  But why does Pricespy allow all of these reviews from users with just one review ie looks very suspicious that somebody is loading up lots of great reviews to hide all the really bad reviews of Becextech.

There must be proof that the reviews are fake before they can be removed, unless they break the rules in other ways.

Wow that's quick - Becextech emailing me already with an offer to try to resolve this if only I take down any adverse reviews here.  I have to say good on them for trying, but I am really not keen to send the phone back to them as my trust in them is now not great, having received what I believe to be a defective phone and then told by them bad luck can't help.  In addition, I don't wish to be without a phone while they decide if they're going to fix it, replace it, or just post it back to me unrepaired.

I'm not surprised. They used to often reply to posts wanting to help whenever there was any issue, and I do believe they often got the problem sorted out too.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB (RAID0!), Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

johanneshenrysson
  • johanneshenrysson

• posts 227

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:10 PM

But why does Pricespy allow all of these reviews from users with just one review ie looks very suspicious that somebody is loading up lots of great reviews to hide all the really bad reviews of Becextech.

We allow all these positive reviews from users only posting one review for the same reason we allow all these negative reviews from users only posting one review (including you at the moment). Also if we wouldn't allow the first review from a user, it would be quite hard to post a second ;)

While we periodically check content etc in reviews, trying to remove those that are in conflict with our rules, we can't just remove a whole lot of reviews without having any kind of proof (as LinuxUser stated above).

• LinuxUser likes this

stan_doc
  • stan_doc
  • Rookie

• posts 7

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

We allow all these positive reviews from users only posting one review for the same reason we allow all these negative reviews from users only posting one review (including you at the moment). Also if we wouldn't allow the first review from a user, it would be quite hard to post a second ;)

While we periodically check content etc in reviews, trying to remove those that are in conflict with our rules, we can't just remove a whole lot of reviews without having any kind of proof (as LinuxUser stated above).

Yes that's a fair point. However it really minimises any usefulness that Pricespy's review may have, when they can be so easily flooded with what are obviously fake positive reviews.  You only have to look at Becextech's positive reviews which seem to fly around just after a negative one.  My trust in Pricespy is, consequently, much diminished from now on and will be looking at alternative websites for information.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,808

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:22 PM

The thing is, you really have two options: go off the opinions of people you trust, or base it on reviews. Personal experience counts of course, but isn't of any consequence when you haven't bought off someone before. You can't trust a review unless you can trust the person saying it – and as they're unknown you can't trust them either. In other words, to base it off reviews you've got to either look through them and then decide which ones you want to trust, or you base it on the volume of each kind (same as the rating). Obviously the last one doesn't work. If the first one works well, in theory a review site could implement it, but in reality it is almost purely opinion-based.

As for "obviously fake positive reviews", would that apply to what you would have posted a few weeks ago? Obviously some people have a good experience with them, because you yourself claim that you bought off them four times without problems. Most reviews that are "obviously fake" are so because of a pre-determined bias of the one claiming that – which is fair enough, but of no use to determining which ones are actually, definitely, provably, fake.

• johanneshenrysson likes this

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB (RAID0!), Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

johanneshenrysson
  • johanneshenrysson

• posts 227

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:59 PM

Yes that's a fair point. However it really minimises any usefulness that Pricespy's review may have, when they can be so easily flooded with what are obviously fake positive reviews.  You only have to look at Becextech's positive reviews which seem to fly around just after a negative one. 

As has been debated before, we do a lot of checks to verify if a review seems to be fake or not. As we do have a lot more data than we actually show, we also have tools better suited for verifying, rather than "positive reviews which seem to fly around just after a negative one".

However, if you suspect any review to be false, please report it and we with look into it further.

The reviews are there for you to make up your own mind. Though I'm a bit surprised as you yourself wrote that you previously ordered 4 phones from them without any problems. I would assume that you at that point were a happy customer, so why does it sound so strange that the store has some positive reviews?

----

Anyway, I'll fix it myself but will likely be left with a phone that isn't properly waterproof.

As it's a Sony Xperia, you may be able to send it directly to Sony. Some time ago I had a Z1, where the screen cracked (not due to dropping it, but due to the stress of being bent, while in a pocket*). While Sony refused repairing it under warranty, it was actually quite cheap letting them repair it anyway. Try this page: http://support.sonym...obal-en/repair/

I'm living in Europe, but think that it works pretty much the same way.

Just a tip if you want it repaired for a fairly cheap price, while still having it waterproof. For me it was as cheap as buying a "do it yourself"-kit, and far cheaper than letting some 3rd party repair it.

* Screen cracking when phone was under stress was not unusual for Z1. Some users reportedly got it fixed for free due to warranty, but not all of them.

stan_doc
  • stan_doc
  • Rookie

• posts 7

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:10 PM

Thanks for that - I may try that.

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,865

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:10 PM

I see that Consumer NZ has recently warned about trading with BecexTech in a piece titled "Don't deal with this electronics retailer".

Some choice quotes from their article:

In September 2015, Consumer member Penelope bought a $740 iPhone from BecexTech. When the phone failed 4 months later, she sent it back and was given a replacement. But when the replacement failed in October 2016, BecexTech told her its 12-month warranty had expired and wouldn’t accept her claim.

Penelope was forced to go to the Disputes Tribunal seeking a refund of the iPhone’s cost plus the $80 she’d spent on a temporary replacement. The tribunal referee found the iPhone supplied by BecexTech wasn’t of acceptable quality and Penelope was entitled to a refund under the Consumer Guarantees Act (CGA).

The referee said it was “irrelevant” that BecexTech’s 12-month warranty had expired, noting “the guarantees in the act apply irrespective of any warranty the manufacturer or supplier provide”.

BecexTech was ordered to refund $820 to Penelope by 29 March 2017, but failed to do so. The company told us it was not registered in New Zealand and the customer should pursue the matter in Hong Kong. It also said it would appeal the decision in the Hong Kong courts if she did so.

This isn’t the first complaint we’ve had about BecexTech. We advise consumers not to do business with this trader.

So basically BecexTech did everything they could to not comply with NZ consumer law. Quite disgraceful.

Edited by TomSahz, 20 May 2017 - 09:13 PM.

• apple cupcakes, LinuxUser, Griffsta and 1 other like this

TheExiledNinja
  • TheExiledNinja
  • Rookie

• posts 1

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:17 PM

I see that Consumer NZ has recently warned about trading with BecexTech in a piece titled "Don't deal with this electronics retailer".

Some choice quotes from their article:

So basically BecexTech did everything they could to not comply with NZ consumer law. Quite disgraceful.

Thanks for this, won't be trying them out, ever.
There's a few companies that I find a bit weird, like supereo and becextech.
I'd sooner go through Banggood or Aliexpress.

morriscat
  • morriscat
  • Rookie

• posts 1

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:02 AM

Just read stan_doc's experience with this company - Becextech looks really dodgy and there's no way I would consider sending money to them for a phone.  Will stay well clear and probably just buy local from now on, or can anybody suggest an online dealer who isn't so crap?

Looking at the Consumer NZ article:  why doesn't stan_doc do the disputes tribunal thing as it looks like it helped the poor iPhone buyer when Becextech suddenly changed their mind when they found out she'd contacted them?

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,808

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:40 AM

Just read stan_doc's experience with this company - Becextech looks really dodgy and there's no way I would consider sending money to them for a phone.  Will stay well clear and probably just buy local from now on, or can anybody suggest an online dealer who isn't so crap?

Looking at the Consumer NZ article:  why doesn't stan_doc do the disputes tribunal thing as it looks like it helped the poor iPhone buyer when Becextech suddenly changed their mind when they found out she'd contacted them?

The thing that got them to do something wasn't the Disputes Tribunal result, it was the article in Consumer being published. Like most businesses, they don't like bad publicity.

Kennith
  • Kennith
  • Rookie

• posts 1

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:48 PM

Hi There,

I have just had a terrible experience with Becextech. I have never written any comment on a company, though I have bought a lot of things on internet and never experienced something that bad. I bought an Iphone5 for my son's birthday. After  less than 3 months the phone started to have issues. It was on and off without any control. We sent it back. After nearly one moth of exchanges by email, I only had generic emails and did not really know what was happening with my phone. I also had some quite rude emails. After one month they said that my phone would be repaired. 2 weeks later, so more than 1.5 months after have sent my faulty phone back, they said they would replace it. Finally after 2 months and i don't know how many emails, they sent a phone. They mixed up with the DHL tracker that was not even correct and I have lost another week waiting. I received a phone without any charger or earplugs, so it was obviously not in working condition. I have asked for a refund as I don't feel this company is reliable. I believe it is my right as per the consumer guarantees act in New Zealand. They have rejected my request. I have sent their phone back and I am going to apply to dispute tribunal. It is a lot of energy, but I hope it will help other consumers as well to stay away from this company. Very bad service, not reliable products.

stan_doc
  • stan_doc
  • Rookie

• posts 7

Posted 07 June 2017 - 10:24 AM

I imagine that this dodgy BecexTech will be rebranding under another name so hopefully Pricespy might be able to warn us?

grass52
  • grass52
  • Rookie

• posts 1

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:49 PM

My case resolved

Edited by grass52, 04 July 2017 - 11:06 PM.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,808

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:26 PM

The posts asking for advice as to where to buy phones from have been moved to https://pricespy.co....?showtopic=4245

mapua123
  • mapua123
  • Rookie

• posts 1

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:57 AM

I also had a bad experience with BecexTech. I wrote to Pricespy as Becextech offer a financial incentive to place a positive review.

This is against Pricespy's policy so if you want to stop BecexTech from ripping of other customers email support@pricespy.co.nz

​Then cut and paste the piece of the shipping email that offers a financial incentive to leave a positive review.

Pricespy have been very responsive.

Let me know if you have any questions or queries.

Hang1970
  • Hang1970
  • Rookie

• posts 4

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:55 AM

Reviews are bogus as stated above they are paying people to leave positive reviews, They are also supplying fake paperwork to  NZ customs as they ship all product from overseas directly to the customer,  A camera sold to my mate For $2600 was declared for customs as $300.00 to avoid paying GST. This is why there prices appear so cheap , they are providing False documents to customs to avoid paying GST which is dodgy as.

Edited by Hang1970, 02 November 2017 - 11:06 AM.

DZander
  • DZander
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 31

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:47 PM

Yeah, that is customs tho, the next time they might inspect it and not release the product until the GST is paid (person the goods arrive to pays this)

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,808

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:16 PM

Definitely. They'll decide something is worth more than it is declared as if they want to (e.g. adding on an estimate for shipping when an item had free shipping – see some old threads on here about cheap 27" monitors from China), but other times when something is clearly over the limit it'll get through without any charges (e.g. when I bought an oscilloscope from China – about NZ$550 and declared correctly, but they didn't ask for a cent).

But some overseas stores do under-declare items to get past Customs. They're asking for trouble though, because it is definitely illegal. But the stupidest (and, when a store is targeting NZ, I mean totally insane) thing that some do is to under-declare stuff that is under the limit.

Reviews are bogus as stated above they are paying people to leave positive reviews, They are also supplying fake paperwork to  NZ customs as they ship all product from overseas directly to the customer,  A camera sold to my mate For $2600 was declared for customs as $300.00 to avoid paying GST. This is why there prices appear so cheap , they are providing False documents to customs to avoid paying GST which is dodgy as.

Did BecexTech say anything about whether the price included GST or not? If they claimed it included GST, then it'd be doubly illegal as they'd officially be collecting GST and therefore be required to pay it.

Hang1970
  • Hang1970
  • Rookie

• posts 4

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:04 PM

just seen paperwork to show Supero  is doing exactly the same as becextech , both supplying  fake paper work ( selling  items worth over $2K , and putting invoice with $300 on it with package for customs clearance ) 

The new announcement today to charge GST on all overseas sales still wont address this issue unless they start actually looking at what the goods are really worth.   

Edited by Hang1970, 15 November 2017 - 01:08 PM.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,808

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:03 PM

Can't say I'm surprised. I personally trust Supero far less than Becextech.

Hang1970
  • Hang1970
  • Rookie

• posts 4

Posted Today, 10:18 AM

What really surprises me is that Pricespy has been shown the paperwork for both becextech & Supro showing  they are committing fraud by falsifying customs documents to avoid paying GST, both examples a camera sold for over  $2500 NZD declared on customs paperwork at $300 to avoid GST. 

You would think as a service to pricespy users they would de list companies like this to avoid customers getting burned by dodgy retailers.    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users