17 replies to this topic

Infuriate8
  • Infuriate8
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 28

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:36 PM

Hey guys, real quick question.. 

If my OS is currently on one of my PC's, can I use the same USB device to put windows 10 on another PC? 

Tried looking it up, but cant find the correct answer,

Cheers.

EDIT: I dont currently have another PC to try it on, I'm buying parts for a build at the moment. I don't really want to spend the extra on an OS, nor do I want to torrent it etc.. 

(Sorry if it sounded a bit dumb at first)

2nd edit: Thread subject has been changed.

Edited by Infuriate8, 09 January 2017 - 04:11 PM.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,752

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:05 AM

You can use the same USB stick, but you can't use the same licence on two computers. If you remove it from the existing computer you can move it to a new one, assuming it isn't the OEM edition.

So if you want Windows on both computers, the answer is basically no.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 4670K (stock for now), Asus Z87-C, 12 GB DDR3, integrated graphics, 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB (RAID0!), Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

Infuriate8
  • Infuriate8
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 28

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:08 PM

You can use the same USB stick, but you can't use the same licence on two computers. If you remove it from the existing computer you can move it to a new one, assuming it isn't the OEM edition.

So if you want Windows on both computers, the answer is basically no.

Hey, thanks for the reply. 

I was gonna start another thread, so could I just keep it here? seeing there's only one reply..

I was gonna ask, for my current build I've bought an i5 6600k and I'm in need for a CPU cooler. I've been looking at a few Noctua coolers like the NH-D15 and 14 also the Cryorig R1, but i still can't settle on a cooler. Water Cooling could also be an option but IMO there's no need. 

I'm buying the same case as I already have but just a different colour (NZXT S340)

I want to OC the CPU at/or over 4Ghz. I was also wanting to grab some LED fans to go with my cooler (Red). I want to keep the Red theme in my setup,

thanks.

lvmarv
  • lvmarv
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 590

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:32 PM

I've got a system that is themed red also, and have just used a Corsair H100i and changed the LED on the top of the cooler to be red. I like those coolers that you have listed there in terms of performance, but personally I don't think I'd want that much weight hanging off my motherboard. For my fans I went with red Thermaltake Riing 120mm fans in push/pull over my H100i radiator. I can post a pic if you wanna see what it looks like.

i5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz w/ Corsair H55 | Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 | 8GB Mushkin Blackline | eVGA GTX980 SC | Corsair Force 3 120GB | Seagate Barracuda 1TB | Corsair HX1050W | Corsair 600T

i5 4670K @ 4.2Ghz w/ Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VII Gene mATX Z97 | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X | eVGA GTX980Ti SC | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | Samsung 840 Pro 250GB | Silverstone Strider 600W | Corsair Carbide Air 240 Cube

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,752

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:38 PM

Hey, thanks for the reply. 

I was gonna start another thread, so could I just keep it here? seeing there's only one reply..

I was gonna ask, for my current build I've bought an i5 6600k and I'm in need for a CPU cooler. I've been looking at a few Noctua coolers like the NH-D15 and 14 also the Cryorig R1, but i still can't settle on a cooler. Water Cooling could also be an option but IMO there's no need. 

I'm buying the same case as I already have but just a different colour (NZXT S340)

I want to OC the CPU at/or over 4Ghz. I was also wanting to grab some LED fans to go with my cooler (Red). I want to keep the Red theme in my setup,

thanks.

Your best option might be to edit the first post to change the thread title, and make the thread about the build. I agree that it's rather pointless having another thread, but the current title is a little misleading...

They're good coolers, but if you're only aiming for 4 GHz or so they're overkill. For that I'd be looking at a Cooler Master Hyper 212X or similar. If you were aiming for 4.5+ GHz I'd say you might want something up there, but in that case I'd be agreeing with lvmarv about having that much weight hanging on the mobo.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 4670K (stock for now), Asus Z87-C, 12 GB DDR3, integrated graphics, 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB (RAID0!), Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Infuriate8
  • Infuriate8
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 28

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:16 PM

I've got a system that is themed red also, and have just used a Corsair H100i and changed the LED on the top of the cooler to be red. I like those coolers that you have listed there in terms of performance, but personally I don't think I'd want that much weight hanging off my motherboard. For my fans I went with red Thermaltake Riing 120mm fans in push/pull over my H100i radiator. I can post a pic if you wanna see what it looks like.

Yeah sure, I'd like to see what it looks like. I'm taking watercooling into consideration. 

If I were to, what water cooler could push my CPU over 4 Ghz? I want a rather new-ish watercooler. I can spend atleast $200-$250 on one,

cheers.

Infuriate8
  • Infuriate8
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 28

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:22 PM

Your best option might be to edit the first post to change the thread title, and make the thread about the build. I agree that it's rather pointless having another thread, but the current title is a little misleading...

They're good coolers, but if you're only aiming for 4 GHz or so they're overkill. For that I'd be looking at a Cooler Master Hyper 212X or similar. If you were aiming for 4.5+ GHz I'd say you might want something up there, but in that case I'd be agreeing with lvmarv about having that much weight hanging on the mobo.

Done :) 

Yeah, I'm trying to aim for atleast 4.5 ghz. What would you recommend for watercoolers in my situation?

cheers.

Ninja_m00se
  • Ninja_m00se

• PipPip
  • posts 182

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:24 PM

I installed my windows 10 copy on a new SSD after building a new computer. Windows 10 is linked with your outlook account you use to login as far as i know, so it keeps it through there. But you can also take a picture of your CD key if you want to re-enter that if all else fails. I've also done this on a friends computer as well, and I used a windows 10 flash drive image to install windows on that one and it still linked with the outlook account and worked flawlessly. 

I can only recommend an air cooler for light overclocking/gaming and that's the Cooler Master Hyper 212x, but I've heard really great things about the h100i that the rest of the crew are recommending.

Good luck :)

====ONYX====
Hardware: i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz, Asus Z97-K, 16GB Ram @ 1600MHz, Asus GTX970, 1x 500GB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Wrapped in a Corsair 600T. ASUS 27" Gaming Monitor 144hz.
Peripherals: Logitech G502, Logitech G510S Keyboard, Logitech G933 Wireless Gaming Headset, Logitech G240 Mouse Mat
Extras: Samsung Galaxy S7 @ Stock Android 7.0 Nougat

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:40 PM

For 4GHz you don't need much at all, that's not a very significant OC, the 6600K will turbo itself to 3.9GHz if thermals are decent. Hyper 212X would be more than enough. As you push for bigger overclocks, start looking at stuff like the PH-TC12DX, Macho, Mugen 3, H5, etc. If you're looking to try and push the chip to nearer its limit, then you want something like an NH-D14/15, Dark Rock Pro 3, PH-TC14PE, R1 Universal, etc. The 240mm rad AIO units would also be a good choice. A lot of them are all spec built Asetek models, so performance is pretty similar. The 280mm ones are also worth a look if they fit in your case. 

Edited by Word Of Madness, 09 January 2017 - 04:41 PM.

• TomSahz, LinuxUser and Infuriate8 like this
|| Big Bear || Viceroy || Viceroy Build Log || Peripherals ||
|| Steam ||
|| My name does not have an "L" in it ||

Infuriate8
  • Infuriate8
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 28

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:00 PM

I installed my windows 10 copy on a new SSD after building a new computer. Windows 10 is linked with your outlook account you use to login as far as i know, so it keeps it through there. But you can also take a picture of your CD key if you want to re-enter that if all else fails. I've also done this on a friends computer as well, and I used a windows 10 flash drive image to install windows on that one and it still linked with the outlook account and worked flawlessly. 

I can only recommend an air cooler for light overclocking/gaming and that's the Cooler Master Hyper 212x, but I've heard really great things about the h100i that the rest of the crew are recommending.

Good luck :)

Oh lucky, just checked my email and Windows 10 is still linked with my email. 

So I'm guessing the hydro H100i V2 should do the trick right? Latest one with a lot of stock.

Thanks for the info btw :)

lvmarv
  • lvmarv
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 590

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:07 PM

Is this going to be a gaming PC? If so, the difference between stock and 4.5GHz in everything I've seen is very small. If I turn the overclocks off on my rigs (specs in sig) it pretty much makes no difference. The water coolers do a good job, and I've been a big fan of the Corsair ones. Even the one I had an issue with that I had to send back to them, they just sent me back a brand new water cooler, I even got a replacement with the newer, better model.

Anyway, its not too hard to theme a build these days. The Corsair logo on the top of the CPU pump can be changed to whatever color you want. I chose the fans because of the cool circular lighting effect that they have (google thermaltake riing fans). Combine that with red ram and cables and an Asus ROG board, happy days. People can go pretty crazy with it, but I'm happy with how mine has gone.

Attached Files

• Attached File  0001.jpg   57.28KB   0 downloads

• TomSahz, LinuxUser, Ninja_m00se and 1 other like this

i5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz w/ Corsair H55 | Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 | 8GB Mushkin Blackline | eVGA GTX980 SC | Corsair Force 3 120GB | Seagate Barracuda 1TB | Corsair HX1050W | Corsair 600T

i5 4670K @ 4.2Ghz w/ Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VII Gene mATX Z97 | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X | eVGA GTX980Ti SC | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | Samsung 840 Pro 250GB | Silverstone Strider 600W | Corsair Carbide Air 240 Cube

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,752

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:55 PM

Oh lucky, just checked my email and Windows 10 is still linked with my email. 

So I'm guessing the hydro H100i V2 should do the trick right? Latest one with a lot of stock.

Thanks for the info btw :)

It'll do pretty well, for sure – it's one of the best coolers out there. But it is pretty expensive for getting only an extra ~20% raw CPU performance – and you won't get that much improvement in most applications, especially games as mentioned above. (Also, most use-cases where you would get a big benefit are the same ones where I'd recommend caution when overclocking.)

Infuriate8
  • Infuriate8
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 28

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:46 PM

Is this going to be a gaming PC? If so, the difference between stock and 4.5GHz in everything I've seen is very small. If I turn the overclocks off on my rigs (specs in sig) it pretty much makes no difference. The water coolers do a good job, and I've been a big fan of the Corsair ones. Even the one I had an issue with that I had to send back to them, they just sent me back a brand new water cooler, I even got a replacement with the newer, better model.

Anyway, its not too hard to theme a build these days. The Corsair logo on the top of the CPU pump can be changed to whatever color you want. I chose the fans because of the cool circular lighting effect that they have (google thermaltake riing fans). Combine that with red ram and cables and an Asus ROG board, happy days. People can go pretty crazy with it, but I'm happy with how mine has gone.

Daymn, that looks smexy, loving the colours.  That's the other reason I want to go with the water cooler, it looks great! & yup it's primarily for gaming but will be doing video editing on it etc.. 

Yeah, I have to agree with you and Linux about how much extra performance I will be getting. I am going to be sticking with the 6600k for a while so it'd probably be best if I did go with an Air Cooler, but I think I'll be choosing the H100i for this build just in case I do decide to upgrade the CPU later on (Which I most likely will) for more intense applications. If that'd be a good choice 

Infuriate8
  • Infuriate8
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 28

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:56 PM

For 4GHz you don't need much at all, that's not a very significant OC, the 6600K will turbo itself to 3.9GHz if thermals are decent. Hyper 212X would be more than enough. As you push for bigger overclocks, start looking at stuff like the PH-TC12DX, Macho, Mugen 3, H5, etc. If you're looking to try and push the chip to nearer its limit, then you want something like an NH-D14/15, Dark Rock Pro 3, PH-TC14PE, R1 Universal, etc. The 240mm rad AIO units would also be a good choice. A lot of them are all spec built Asetek models, so performance is pretty similar. The 280mm ones are also worth a look if they fit in your case. 

Sorry, didn't see your comment, must've scrolled past it.

Thanks for the info :) I will take a look at those coolers. I'm wanting to OC it over 4Ghz, I am aiming for at least 4.5GHz. But as Linux and Ivmarv have said, I wont be getting a lot more performance out of OC'ing the CPU. So I really should go for a cheaper cooler, but I guess I'm being a bit greedy lol  ;)

• lvmarv likes this

Ninja_m00se
  • Ninja_m00se

• PipPip
  • posts 182

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:28 PM

Dumb question, where is your PSU? or am i blind?

Oh beautiful setup btw, super jealous, i've got a white/blue setup on my 600T so ill take a picture of that, it'll show the hyper 212x in action.

• Infuriate8 likes this

====ONYX====
Hardware: i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz, Asus Z97-K, 16GB Ram @ 1600MHz, Asus GTX970, 1x 500GB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Wrapped in a Corsair 600T. ASUS 27" Gaming Monitor 144hz.
Peripherals: Logitech G502, Logitech G510S Keyboard, Logitech G933 Wireless Gaming Headset, Logitech G240 Mouse Mat
Extras: Samsung Galaxy S7 @ Stock Android 7.0 Nougat

lvmarv
  • lvmarv
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 590

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:20 PM

Thanks man. That corsair case has a second chamber behind the motherboard tray, that has the psu, hard drives and hides all the cables. Love the design of this case for sure.

la102
  • la102
  • Amateur

• PipPip
  • posts 68

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:30 PM

Hey bro , how's the noise levels with 4 fans on the Rad? my set up is pretty much identical to yours except I'm only running the two stock fans included with AIO water cooler. My pc is super quiet atm (especially when gpu turns fan off)...what'd you recommend?

lvmarv
  • lvmarv
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 590

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:23 PM

Hey man, I've set all my fans to run at 1200rpm through Corsair link, I find it to be the best combination of noise/performance. It's not silent, but if we are sitting there watching a movie, its not a problem. The fans I chose were more so about the red theme for the build, more than anything.

• TomSahz likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users