Stores reviews seems a bit suspicious?

98 replies to this topic

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:00 PM

Seems to me that the Expert Infotech Reviews are a bit suspicious, maybe cause i had a very bad experience with them 3 times in a row that led me to boycott them and think their the worst computer store, but anyways five 8-10stars reviews on accounts all created in the last 24hours? after the first five being 1 and 2 stars only, i have my suspicions with this store. Especially since I've never seen any of these accounts post anything, and also all the good reviews pretty much say the complete opposite what the bad ones say as if they were trying to correct there bad name?

Just my thoughts

Reviews here

http://pricespy.co.n....php?ftgid=8234

Edited by curtains, 12 November 2009 - 01:02 PM.

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:42 PM

I have bought a few things from them before.
Service was quick and I generally did not have any major issues with them so far.

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:52 PM

Yeah it's probably the store writing their own reviews. Anyway pricespy is shit now.

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:04 PM

Yup definitely very suspicious, everything just doesn't add up, for ever bad review, 2 good one pops up straight after, on newly created accounts with no other reviews but expert infotech or forum posts, more than normal amount of reviews at this point 17, even PB tech only has a few and even OCZone only has 7, there not a huge computer shop, the high number of reviews just says to me most are staff written.

Edited by curtains, 12 November 2009 - 03:14 PM.

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:12 PM

While I haven't had problems with Expert Infotech it does look very suspicious. I suppose it was only a matter of time until a retailer abused the review system.

Also note the review that attempts to rebut the comments on this thread without actually saying anything about Expert Infotech other than to give it 9 stars.

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:22 PM

It is only a matter of time until a retailer abused the review system. indeed.

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:57 PM

@ brookfield, you're obviously the Expert Infotech staff member(s) we are talking about here.

There are now so many user reviews for Expert Infotech that a clear pattern has emerged. A genuine PriceSpy user will post a review that is average or sub-average. A few hours later a couple of extraordinarily high reviews will be posted by a couple of accounts that were created within hours of each other and have never done anything other than review Expert Infotech. What is becoming increasingly apparent to me is that the person posting these fake reviews has a consistently poor grasp of the English language. It may be a coincidence that the staff at Expert Infotech I have spoken to on the phone in the past were not fluent English speakers either, however I doubt it.

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:06 PM

lol definately staff IMO, I mean just read the post, who writes posts like that, that post is nearly like advertising.

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:38 PM

Yeah I too agree that there are many suspicious positive reviews on Expert Infotech.

But even before those reviews were posted, I did notice that the first 3 or 4 reviews happened to be extremely negative, and was suspicious of them. Especially the consistent usage of incorrect capitalisations, eg at the beginning of sentences, and the pronoun "I". Looked like they could've been posted by the same person.

And NO! I'm not associated with Expert Infotech in any way, just a long-time regular PriceSpy user who misses the old PriceSpy!

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:06 AM

I did write a slightly good review of them, but that's only because so far my dealings with them have been good. I don't deal with them very often, only generally when their prices are better than I can get elsewhere, but so far I haven't had an issue, aside from the one I mentioned in my review.

Generally I prefer PC-Online or QMB Computers

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:42 AM

regardless, expert infotech will lose customers due to the death of pricespy

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:01 AM

View Postx4b50, on Nov 13 2009, 08:42, said:

regardless, expert infotech will lose customers due to the death of pricespy
I think people need to start getting over this. The site has changed. And if you do want to keep complaining, there are threads about this already.

In terms of reviews, you always have to be careful with them. I always look at some good ones, some average ones and a lot of the bad ones. But take them all with a grain of salt. people are more likely to post the bad experiences.

Does seem dodgy.

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:52 AM

Yes I'm starting to get suspicious now as well. Seems as soon as a bad post in put up a good one suddenly appears from someone who just created a pricespy account on the same day. Something very odd. Perhaps Pricespy should check the IP address on some of the posters there.

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:55 PM

I didn't even notice store reviews until I read this, now I get to do some complaining.

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:08 PM

View Postcurtains, on Nov 12 2009, 15:00, said:

Seems to me that the Expert Infotech Reviews are a bit suspicious, maybe cause i had a very bad experience with them 3 times in a row that led me to boycott them and think their the worst computer store, but anyways five 8-10stars reviews on accounts all created in the last 24hours? after the first five being 1 and 2 stars only, i have my suspicions with this store. Especially since I've never seen any of these accounts post anything, and also all the good reviews pretty much say the complete opposite what the bad ones say as if they were trying to correct there bad name?

Just my thoughts

Reviews here

http://pricespy.co.n....php?ftgid=8234
totally agree with you

i try to buy cellphone there asked them do the have stock because i live not far from them
i go to the shop paid the $
then they said sorry there was a guy bought the photo just an hour ago
they thought he was me
not happened once but 3 times
when i went to pick up the same phone same story
i asked them to refund my $ and told them i dont want the phone any more
they ask me to come back in 30mins
to pick up the phone
i will never buy things from them any more :)
even their price looks cheapest

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:35 AM

Crap store, crap company, crap service. I have posted a review accordingly.

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:27 PM

Looks like at lease one review is under investigation "This user review is under investigation"

Posted 24 November 2009 - 04:18 PM

The one time I dealt with the store I was in and out in a few mins. No troubles at all.

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:48 PM

One sale and it went well? Try going back for after-sales service, or try getting them to get a product in that they don't have in stock.

Edited by jay97, 24 November 2009 - 09:48 PM.

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:05 PM

I've been burnt buying a mobile phone from Expert Infotech and so has my nephew.

My phone's screen died the day after I received it and it took them a month to send me a new one (eating into my warranty period) + I had to pay for shipping both ways.

My nephews phone's firmware went screwy after 3 days and they charged $40 to fix it + "short-changed" him on a memory card. Sometimes they'll take out the included memory card and lower their price to be just the lowest priced retailer so unsuspecting buyers think they're getting the same deal as the other retailers but cheaper. Always check what's included when buying from them because you might end up thinking you should've paid an extra $5 at another retailer and gotten an 8gb memory card.

Edited by Mad-Season, 24 November 2009 - 11:07 PM.

Core I7 920 3.2GHz | Bloodrage GTI x58 | 6GB DDR3 | 3TB/2GB/1GB Seagate Barracuda | XFX HD6850 Dual-fan Edition SLI | Cooler Master V8 | Sony HTM7 Muteki 7.2 HT
Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 | Core I5 3230M 2.6GHz | 6GB DDR3 | Dual GT650M SLI | JBL Speakers

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:03 AM

What will PriceSpy do about this if the store is proven to be ripping off its customers?

This is a featured store will PriceSpy stop or prevent dodgy stores from being featured?

If a featured store is proven to be dodgy misleading or ripping off customers and PriceSpy takes no action how can anyone trust PriceSpy?

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:54 PM

i purchased from this store around a year ago, and did not have an issue.

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:43 PM

That's great, you must have got the one non-faulty product they had in the shop at the time. Try going back to them for after-sales service and see what kind of experience you have.

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:38 AM

Probably the worst experience I have had buying computer parts - won't touch them - I'm sure that many good reviews of them will be bogus.

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:47 AM

Ok so they are doctoring the review system.
does that mean we can doctor it back in a negative way too? I mean, whats stopping us from posting a set of bad reviews to watch the new accounts sign up just to post good reviews? I bet they use the details of one time customers as the "one time review" posters too....

So does pricespy ban stores like this from their shop list? (i know the old pricespy had a thing in there about letting them know if this sort of crap was happening...)

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:31 PM

Pricespy doesn't care as long as they are being paid.

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:48 PM

PriceSpy does not remove stores as long as they follow the laws and regulations. We believe in giving the consumers the choice of shopping where they want to, and when the stores compete on the same terms they are encouraged to be more effective and fair. PriceSpy is not to ”censor” the market, our job is instead to inform the users and to help them make the best decision beforehand. We are working with two different kinds of review systems which are very important and powerful tools for consumers to find a store they can trust.

To remove a store can be compared to preventing people from entering a physical store just because many people believe it is not a serious business. PriceSpy's job should therefore rather be to stand outside the store and inform about the experiences of others. They who choose not to listen or who prefer a lower price have every right to do business with that store.

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:51 PM

I was about to buy a mobile phone and a camera from these guys, after reading all of the reviews and then this thread I am no so sure...

Looking for a Nokia E75 phone and a Sony Cybershot DSC-TX1 Camera.

Gadgets Online NZ LTD has both products at a reasonable price and eSqare has the second best price for the phone. Anyone have any experience with these two places or other suggestions? I'd prefer not to risk it with Expert Infotech now.

Regards

Ty

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:36 AM

I think most of the glowing comments in their online store are probably submitted by them too.

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:11 AM

View PostHottes, on Dec 9 2009, 23:48, said:

PriceSpy does not remove stores as long as they follow the laws and regulations. We believe in giving the consumers the choice of shopping where they want to, and when the stores compete on the same terms they are encouraged to be more effective and fair. PriceSpy is not to ”censor” the market, our job is instead to inform the users and to help them make the best decision beforehand. We are working with two different kinds of review systems which are very important and powerful tools for consumers to find a store they can trust.

To remove a store can be compared to preventing people from entering a physical store just because many people believe it is not a serious business. PriceSpy's job should therefore rather be to stand outside the store and inform about the experiences of others. They who choose not to listen or who prefer a lower price have every right to do business with that store.

How about cutting the bull5hit and admitting that the reason a company like pricespy exists is because of the revenue gained from companies who list their products on here, not because of some sort of altruistic dedication to the consumer.

The review system is clearly easily able to be abused as shown by not only expert infotech, but definitly oczone and many other stores. So basically, while it wouldve been a good feature to implement on the new pricespy (maybe the only good new feature) its allready been shown to just be another screw up.

This is so insane. Im sitting here watching the death of a great site and the owners/admins dont give a shit as long as the stores are happy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users