What are the best ISP out there?

48 replies to this topic

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

I am with Telecom, works great! ALSO they're doubling ALL of their data plans! So if you had 20GB you now have 40GB and so on, up to 100GB being now 200GB

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

Yeah they're great.

My 60GB plan is now 40GB. And costs $10 more. Awesome :/

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

Josh, wtf are you smoking?

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

Yeh NOW they put up the usage after they introduced the laws, faggs. I HATE telescum so bad.

Anyway, back to the OP - What modem do you have? Does the ADSL light go out?

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

The basic white one that telecom sent us.
I gave them a call on tuesday night, same blah blah again.

-we'll monitor your connection for the next 24hrs
-we'll give you a call tomorrow evening (wednesday)

Never got a call yesterday, didn't get a chance to try out BF3 last night but I did have 15 mins worth of COD which seemed alright.
So I believe the issue is gone temporarily (again)...

If I get the time to, I'll give them a call soon and ask what did they see during those 24 hrs or what they did even.

What are the requirements for cable if anyone knows?
- Battlelog -

Intel i5 3570k with Corsair H100 | MSI Z77 MPower | 8GB Corsair Vengeance | MSI GTX 680 Lightning | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | Corsair AX650 | Coolermaster CM 690 II Black and White Ed.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

slingshot unlimited. put through 1tb this month, all good.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

View Postla102, on 14 April 2012 - 09:47 AM, said:

slingshot unlimited. put through 1tb this month, all good.
I second the notion of Slingshot unlimited. $105/month now. Awesome service, have always been hooked up on the same day as moving in to a new flat.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

View PostJexla, on 12 April 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

Josh, wtf are you smoking?

Is there a problem, officer?

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

Just had our 60GB plan with Telecom upgraded to 120GB. Paying around $100/month. Speed is ok, around 8-9Mb/s on ADSL2+, although the line up our street is known to be bad. Before moving house we got around 18-19Mb/s on ADSL2+.

With regards the OP, at our old place we were having massive problems with disconnects and lost packets so we gave Telecom a call. They did the whole "we'll run a line check and call back" routine (called back saying it was fine) but we told them we knew it wasn't fine and wanted a tech sent out. The tech found there was some damaged equipment down the road and would have been affecting several other houses in the street as well, after the fix the connection stabilised.

In our new place with a bad line up the street we were having a few disconnect issues again, the techs couldn't sort it so we changed the modem (did have a TG585) and the disconnects went away. Those modem/routers Telecom supply just seem generally bad and don't handle flaky connections very well at all.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

View PostLoganbacca, on 20 April 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

Just had our 60GB plan with Telecom upgraded to 120GB. Paying around $100/month. Speed is ok, around 8-9Mb/s on ADSL2+, although the line up our street is known to be bad. Before moving house we got around 18-19Mb/s on ADSL2+.

With regards the OP, at our old place we were having massive problems with disconnects and lost packets so we gave Telecom a call. They did the whole "we'll run a line check and call back" routine (called back saying it was fine) but we told them we knew it wasn't fine and wanted a tech sent out. The tech found there was some damaged equipment down the road and would have been affecting several other houses in the street as well, after the fix the connection stabilised.

In our new place with a bad line up the street we were having a few disconnect issues again, the techs couldn't sort it so we changed the modem (did have a TG585) and the disconnects went away. Those modem/routers Telecom supply just seem generally bad and don't handle flaky connections very well at all.
Welcome to PriceSpy!

That is to be expected really, as why would they supply anything other than a cheap one? I would suggest that the OP needs to try a different modem if possible, and see if that helps.
Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 4670K (stock for now), Asus Z87-C, 12 GB DDR3, integrated graphics, 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB (RAID0!), Spinpoint F3 1TB and 250 GB WD HDDs, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, Dvorak keyboard, custom openSUSE 13.1, Windows Vista Ultimate in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

Not really, I actually used to work in their ADSL team, NOT the gay Helpdesk. I know that modem specific profiles were created on the DSLAM nodes. The modems Telescum supply are "okay", not the best out there, but certainly not the worst. One thing - having wiring/maintenance does wonders in terms of their obligations(for your benefit). Personally, I wouldnt buy a modem just to fix one of their fuckups.. get them to fix it.

Seriously, if you have issues with DSL/PPP dropping out, and if you have a modem supplied by telescum.. HOUND the FUCK out of them. Thats the ONLY way to get some serious notice in the department.. trust me. I personally(after leaving telescum) have hounded the fuck out of them several times, and gotten several managers to apologise to me re the service and incompetence of the Helpdesk. I threatened to move ISP(seriously).

Their analyser tool - which they call "Alcatel 5530" does an excellent job. I personally can tell ALOT from looking at those results - eg whether they have any multiples, interference from other lines, etc etc(I could go on and on)

Also - You can request ALL of your case notes to be emailed to you. I suggest you do, because you would be shocked to see what kind of case notes they put in there. Some dont even know what a modem looks like.

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

I would not recommend snap or slingshot, but the quilty of the connection is based on your location more than your isp, all new zealand isp charge too much and provide poor service, Before you sign up get the isp to tell you what type of service is available at your location, you'll pay the same fee for a adsl2 connection(fast) or a buba connection (little faster than dial up), This is all part of the service and the information available to your isp. If you won't too see how good there services are ring at peak time and choice technical advice option from there answering service, and start counting the minutes.

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:14 PM

Dead Thread res.
The small buisiness where I work is looking for a new ISP.
Currently we have Orcon 100Mb/s Fiber on a Business plan with 100gb i think.
Requirements:
  • Static IP
  • Not Orcon
  • 100Mb/s
  • "good value"
  • Unlimited or 150ish gb
  • Good customer service
Other stuff:
  • Don't care about free routers.
  • Don't care about install/setup

Steam Battlelog Raptr 404 So many Pixels so little Time: i5-3570k | Maximus V Gene | Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X | 8gb samsung | QNIX QX2710

View PostTomSahz, on 06 November 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

Tom's DinDin Place™.

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

View Posteliongater, on 13 December 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

• "good value"

Umm you relise you're in New Zealand.....
I7 4770K @ 4.5GHz | ASUS Z87 Pro | 16GB Ripjaws 2133MHz CL9 T1 | Asus GTX780OC | Seasonic X 1250 | 3 x SSD | 2 x HDD | Synology NAS | HAF x Case | Custom Water | 7.1 Headset | 5.1 Speakers | More money than brains | Am Poor :(

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:35 PM

The quotation marks are there for a reason.
|| Big Bear || Viceroy || Viceroy Build Log || Peripherals ||
|| Steam ||
|| My name does not have an "L" in it ||

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

I'm with Snap and pretty happy. I currently have ADSL (just a little too high loop attenuation for them to try VDSL). If you buy a data pack you get free bandwidth from 1am to 7am, on the 50GB base plan with a 100GB data pack I managed to use over 750GB one month by scheduling most my downloads to run at night. They don't have 1st tier support which means most people you speak to know what they're talking about. I just saw they have 200mbps fiber available now, apparently on all fiber connections: http://www.snap.net....-broadband.html They support IPv6 and are going to be giving out static IPv6 subnets soon (you can get static IPv4 addresses for $5/month now). All our phones are now VOIP (Snap, 2talk and KiwiLink) and work well.
i7 2700k | Thermalright HR-02 Macho | Asus P8H77-M Pro | 2 x 8GB Team Group Elite | 3GB MSI HD 7950 OC | Silverstone Fortress FT03S | Seasonic Platinum 520W Fanless | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 60GB OCZ Agility 3 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | Asus Xonar Essence STX | Windows 8.1 Professional 64-Bit | 3 x LG 23" E2341V @ 1920x1080 | Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800 | Logitech M570 Trackball Mouse | Wacom Intuos5 L Touch

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

Well... If you saw some of my speeds... I forgot the thread but im with Vodafone (ex Telstraclear). And well, its amazing.

Speeds: I updated DOTA2 today at 15.4MB/s. BF4 Updates at 20MB/s... Anything i download from steam is well over 10MB/s all the time. EVER. No fiber or anything, just the fastest cable plan they have, its like 130mb/s speeds or something.

Oh its this: http://www.vodafone....gh-speed-cable/

The Ultrafast 130. Its not fiber, but faster than fiber :D Although now i saw that you can get fiber 200 now so i guess there goes that.

Im not in the fiber zone yet, but this is still the next best thing :)

THE BEAST: I5 2500k | 8gb HyperX Blue | Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 | Sapphire Dual X R9 280X | FSP Group Aurum 600W | Antec DF-85 | Crucial M4 120gb SSD | 3x 1TB Hard Drives |

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:15 AM

I can also confirm that telecom are overrated, overpriced, and not really that good.
The modem/router that they had given us was really just plain garbage, but we did repurpose it as a switch.

I'm currently on Orcon unlimited 100mbps fibre, and loving it, with no regrets.
It's $129 a month for our plan, and its $99 for 30mbps fibre.
And thats includes a VoIP line ( voice over internet protocol ), which really has much better quality than over copper.

The router they supplied is actually so good, it replaced our $150 Belkin router.

Overall, I really love Orcon, they are great value, fast, and they didn't skimp on our router.
Computers: Sirius | HP 650 15" Celeron Laptop
Mobile Devices: Samsung Galaxy SIII White | iPad Mini 16GB White | Cheap 10.1" Android Tablet | HP Touchpad
Stuff Ralph54 owes me: 1GB Black USB Stick | SATA 3 cable | IDE/SATA to USB | 8GB Black USB Stick

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:39 AM

View Posttehkhop, on 14 December 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

I can also confirm that telecom are overrated, overpriced, and not really that good.
In this instance, maybe. But from my research just a couple of days ago their ADSL is about the same as most others – maybe not quite as good, but definitely not much worse.
Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 4670K (stock for now), Asus Z87-C, 12 GB DDR3, integrated graphics, 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB (RAID0!), Spinpoint F3 1TB and 250 GB WD HDDs, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, Dvorak keyboard, custom openSUSE 13.1, Windows Vista Ultimate in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users